Ex-Leicester City left-back Ben Chilwell had a memorable Premier League debut for Chelsea on Saturday afternoon.
The 23-year-old left King Power Stadium this summer, signing for the west London club in a deal earned the Foxes a fee of £50million after long-term interest from Frank Lampard in the defender.
Chilwell’s been made wait for this moment as he was dealing with an injury at the immediate start of the season, with the full-back getting back to full fitness with some outings in the League Cup.
The ace showed his quality on his competitive debut for the Blues in the tie against Championships side Barnsley, with the 23-year-old coming off the bench to tee up Olivier Giroud with a superb assist before made his first start in Chelsea shirt against Spur in midweek.
However, on Saturday he was handed his first start in Premier League and is produced impressive performance as Chelsea beating Crystal Palace 4-0.
The England left-back pretty solid at the back and looked to get forward, with his set-pieces being impressive as well.
Chilwell, who scored the first goal and laid on the second for Kurt Zouma, awarded man-of-the-match award, thanks to his outstanding performance in Chelsea’s 4-0 victory over Crystal Palace.
Here, we’ve rounded up five impressive starts that demonstrate how the England left-back made a dream league debut for the Blues:
- Ben Chilwell became the first Chelsea player to score on their Premier League debut for the club since Jorginho netted against Huddersfield Town in August 2018.
- The full-back made 78 passes during the game, with an impressive accuracy rate of 82%.
- Brought in to add extra attacking threat from the left-back position, Ben Chilwell made 11 crosses throughout the 90 minutes, including one that directly led to Chelsea’s second goal.
- The England left-back also demonstrated his defensive capabilities, making three interceptions and winning 100% of his aerial duels during the game.
- After conceding six goals in their first three Premier League games, Frank Lampard’s side kept their first clean sheet of the season on Chilwell’s league debut.
Ben Chilwell’s Premier League debut for Chelsea:
100% aerial duels won
82% pass accuracy
Brilliant performance. pic.twitter.com/rcCo65zPd8
— LDN (@LDNFootbalI) October 3, 2020