A place in the quarter-finals of the League Cup will be on the line when Liverpool welcome Arsenal to Anfield in a fourth round tie on Thursday night.
We are nearly at the end of the latest stage of the League Cup, with with three matches on show on Thursday, when the curtains fall on round four. The marquee fixture in this round will be played at Anfield, where Liverpool will be playing hosts to Arsenal for a second time this week.
Jurgen Klopp’s side were made impressive start this season after they beat newly-promoted Leeds United by the skin of their teeth in the opening match of their 2020/21 Premier League campaign.
Since then, the Reds have made massive improvements, comfortably beating both Chelsea and Arsenal in the league while also handing a 7-2 mauling to Lincoln City in the last round of the Carabao Cup.
Arsenal, on the other hand, have been convincing at the onset of the 2020-21 season. The Gunners came into their Premier League campaign on the back of an impressive win over Liverpool in the Community Shield.
Mikel Arteta’s side have impressed with fairly solid victories against Fulham, West Ham United and Leicester City in third round of the Carabao Cup before suffered defeat to Liverpool in Premier League in earlier of the week.
Ahead of the latest meeting between the two sides, Sportarena takes a closer look at the Carabao Cup encounter.
Team News & Tactics
Jurgen Klopp has a number of fresh roster issues hampering his preparations ahead of his sides’s latest fixture. Against Arsenal on Thursday, the Liverpool manager will be without as many as five first-team players.
It is expected that Liverpool will ring in the changes against Arsenal, although Joel Matip and Kostas Tsimikas are both facing a spell on the sidelines. Midfield will also give big selection headaches, with Jordan Henderson and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain out injured, while Thiago Alcantara is recovering from COVID-19.
Probable Lineup (4-2-3-1): Adrian; Williams, Koumetio, van Dijk, Milner; Jones, Grujic; Shaqiri, Minamino, Jota; Origi
Much like his counterpart in the Liverpool dugout, Mikel Arteta has a raft of injury concerns to deal with ahead of his side’s latest fixture. On Thursday, the Arsenal manager could be without as many as seven first-team players due to various fitness issue.
Gabriel Martinelli is the only Arsenal player in the treatment room at the moment, as per the official team newsfrom the Gunners. Apart from the Brazilian, the likes of Sokratis, Cedric Soares, Shkodran Mustafi, Pablo Mari, Calum Chambers and Emile Smith Rowe have resumed some form of training, but none of them is likely to be fit enough to feature.
Probable Lineup (3-4-3): Runarsson; Saliba, Gabriel, Kolasinac; Maitland-Niles, Willock, Ceballos, Saka; Pepe, Nketiah, Nelson
- This is the second consecutive season that Liverpool will be taking on Arsenal in the fourth round of the Carabao Cup. The Reds progressed to the quarter-finals, winning the penalty shootout after the game ended in a 5-5 draw.
- Thursday’s game will see Liverpool take on Arsenal in the Carabao Cup for the 16th time, making it the most played fixture in the competition’s history.
- Arsenal have progressed to the next stage from 14 of their previous 17 Carabao Cup fourth round ties.
- Liverpool’s last three Carabao Cup matches have seen 24 goals scored (12 both for and against), with 90 shots attempted across three games.
- Divock Origi has scored nine goals in his last seven starts in the Carabao Cup, including a brace against Arsenal in last season’s fourth round.